Veneers are a really popular dental treatment that can improve the look of your smile. They have become increasingly popular over the last few years. Part of the reason they have become a go-to dental treatment is due to the advancements in dentistry. Veneers have become a subtle, yet natural enhancement to the look of your smile. Below you will find some of the pros and cons of veneers so you can determine if they are the right treatment for you. Let’s look at the pros and cons of dental veneers.
The Pros and Cons of Dental Veneers
Dental veneers are a great option for many people. However, it’s important to consider the pros and cons before your move forward with the treatment.
The Pros of Veneers
- Longevity: Porcelain veneers in La Mesa are durable and can last up to 15 years. Their durability depends on how well you take care of them (and your overall oral health) so it’s important to stay consistent and diligent when it comes to your daily oral care routine and visiting the dentist. Composite veneers aren’t as long-lasting as they generally need to be replaced every 7 years.
- Shape and Color: Veneers can improve the look of your smile by addressing issues such as discoloration and the shape and size of your teeth. Veneers can be customized in terms of color so you can achieve a whiter and brighter smile. They can also address issues such as tooth shape, size, and fill in any gaps that make your smile look uneven.
- Stain-Resistant: Porcelain veneers are ceramic, which means they are very smooth. This is a major benefit as they are stain-resistant. While you do need to stick to a consistent daily oral care routine, you do not have to worry about your coffee or wine staining your teeth if you have a full set of veneers. One caveat to this benefit is if you only have partial veneers. Your veneers won’t become discolored, but your natural teeth still can. This can result in a mismatched look as some teeth can become discolored and some will stay white.
- Improved Self-Confidence: Feeling better about your smile can help you look and feel more confident. This can have major benefits to both your personal and professional life. This is because a person with a nice smile is perceived to be more professional. In addition, people who smile more often are seen as friendlier. The benefits veneers can have on your self-confidence can open many doors.
The Cons of Veneers
- Permanent Treatment Option: While veneers are long-lasting, they are permanent. You’ll have to replace them for the rest of your life so it’s important to consider all of the pros and cons before moving forward with veneers.
- Cost: Veneers can be expensive, especially porcelain veneers. While they are a great investment into your physical aesthetic, it’s important to consider your budget to ensure you can replace them when the time comes.
- Fragile: While veneers are durable to an extent, they aren’t immune from cracks, chips, or other issues. Repairs can be done, but they can get costly so it’s important to make good choices if you get veneers. Avoid eating hard foods, address issues such as tooth grinding, and don’t use your teeth to open things. You can keep them intact and free from issues, but it requires taking care and caution.
Smiles of La Mesa Dental Office
If you are unhappy with the look of your smile, contact Smiles of La Mesa dental office. Porcelain veneers are a great treatment option for those unhappy with the look of their smile. The team at Smiles of La Mesa offer porcelain veneer treatment and can help you achieve your desired smile. Contact their office today for a consultation!